Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Being Awesome at Being Humble

"...What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8 NIV)

I am super good at a lot of things. Seriously, a whole lot. I'd be more than willing to list all my strengths for you when you have the time. One things I'm not so good at is practicing humility. Which I prefer to twist around to look like I'm actually really good at humility. It's a vicious cycle when you start to really examine what it means to be humble.

Tonight, I was faced with practicing an activity that I'm good at (obviously), but my husband is better. Being with someone who has more knowledge of anything than I do is tough for me. I have a fiercely competitive spirit and losing is brutal. And in my mind, losing can be as simple as not being best (If you're not in first place, you're in last place).

Trust me, I know it sounds crazy. There is a lot of crazy in my head. But after yet another run in with my swollen, then bruised ego, which caused an unpleasant "growth experience" with my dear hubby, I figured I better do some digging into humility.

God is so incredible! I kept having this little phrase "walk humbly with God", rattling around in my brain. With a few seconds and the help of Google, I soon found Micah 6:8..."Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly." Pretty concise and to the point.

We've all tried our best to live our lives the way that God expects of us and with that, I know that every person has a different idea of what that would look like. But here it is in three easy steps! "Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly." Just six words. Six. Wouldn't it be incredible if I could make a habit of just repeating these six words as a personal mantra until it becomes second nature? "Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly." (Typing it several times in one post is a good start, I think.)

As I go to sleep tonight, I'll be repeating those words. ("Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.") Hopefully they'll work their way into my dreams overnight. ("Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.") I'd love to have these words be my first thought when I wake up tomorrow. ("Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.")

Storing God's word in your heart is an incredible first line of defense against spiritual attacks. And I'd like to think that these six words are a great starting point to fend off most of the personal issues I have.

How awesome that the God of the universe is here with me tonight, whispering those words on my heart and compelling me to take a step of faith to follow Him down the path of humility? I'm in awe.

"Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly."

No comments:

Post a Comment